Who says that spices only have a place in a savory dish? This incredibly moist spice cake with its super creamy cream cheese frosting more than deserves its name!
Spice cake deluxe!
After I said the other day that the chocolate nut cake is one of my absolute favorites, I would definitely like to add this incredibly delicious cake with spices to the list.
The batter comes together really quickly and doesn’t need many ingredients – except for the armada of spices that give this spice cake its delicious flavor. Want the list? Here it is – the following spices are used in this cake:
And together they make an absolutely wonderful keyboard of flavors. Especially if you don’t just sweeten the spice cake with sugar, but also mix some aromatic honey into the batter. Believe me, it really makes a difference and really emphasizes the spicy note of the moist spice cake.
The creamiest cream cheese frosting
All you need for the creamy frosting is cream cheese, butter, powdered sugar and a little vanilla extract. Yes, it’s a heavy affair, but I didn’t promise a fitness salad.
You can easily prepare the frosting for the spice cake by mixing the butter and cream cheese into a smooth mixture and then incorporating the powdered sugar and vanilla. This doesn’t actually take 5 minutes.
After the spice cake has been baked in the oven at 180 °C for approx. 40 minutes, it must cool completely. The cream cheese frosting can then be spread on top.
For me, this spice cake is really fantastic for autumn, when the leaves are changing color outside and you switch from cool drinks to hot tea. And of course, with its many spices, this cake is also fantastic for the Christmas season.
I wish you lots of fun baking and, of course, bon appétit.
- Halabi, Rafik (Author)
Recipe for spice cake with cream cheese frosting
For the cake
- 300 g Wheat flour type 405
- 3 teaspoon Baking powder
- 2 tablespoon baking cocoa
- 3 teaspoon Cinnamon, ground
- 2 teaspoon Cardamom, ground
- 1 teaspoon Ginger, ground
- 1 teaspoon Cloves, ground
- 1 teaspoon Allspice, ground
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg, ground
- 0,5 teaspoon salt
- 250 g brown sugar
- 4 Eggs
- 2 Tablespoon Honey
- 200 ml Rapeseed or sunflower oil
- 200 ml Buttermilk
For the frosting
- 200 g Cream cheese
- 100 g Butter
- 150 g Powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla flavoring
- Preheat the oven to 180 °C top/bottom heat.
- Line springform pan with baking paper or grease with a little butter.
- Bring the ingredients to room temperature except for the frosting.
- Mix the flour with the baking powder, cocoa and spices.
- Whisk together the sugar, eggs, honey, oil and buttermilk.
- Fold in the flour mixture and stir into a smooth batter.
- Pour the batter into the tin and bake in the oven for approx. 40 minutes.
- Then leave the spice cake to cool.
Preparation of frosting
- Beat the cream cheese in a mixing bowl until smooth.
- Add the butter and mix together until the ingredients are combined.
- Sift in the powdered sugar and stir the frosting into a smooth cream. If the cream is too runny, you can put it back in the fridge so that it hardens again.
- Spread the frosting on the spice cake, cut into approx. 12 pieces and serve.
Fancy more delicious cakes? Then take a look at my other recipes for delicious pastries: