For all of you who don’t want to eat meat anymore, but used to love shawarma, you should now prick up your eyes and ears! I have developed a recipe for vegan shawarma especially for you. Instead of meat, I simply massaged an aubergine with the typical marinade and then baked it in the oven. Not only vegan friends were thrilled with the result.
Sometimes it really is incredibly easy to find a vegan alternative for a famous dish. To do the ultimate test to see if you can wow more “difficult eaters”, I whipped up a vegan shawarma wrap and served it to my brother. The result was so clear that I had already calculated it: he didn’t even try it … Philistine!
But hey, it wasn’t because he doesn’t like vegan food in general, but simply because there’s “too much green stuff in it”. My brother has had a pronounced phobia of raw food since childhood. No, not really, but you’d think so. What he missed out on, others benefited from. My mother, for example, was super taken with it and has found a new favourite wrap in it. And the best thing is, you can have the vegan shawarma on the table in 30 minutes.
While the aubergine bakes in the oven, chop the vegetables quickly, make the nutty tahini sauce according to this recipe and then whip up your wrap – or leave the wrap open and have a vegan shawarma plate 😉
If you prefer to use a different sauce, I can also highly recommend the Lebanese aioli called “Toum”. Don’t worry, even though it’s a mayo, there’s no egg in it and it doesn’t need an animal.
Recipe for vegan shawarma
- 250 g Eggplant about one eggplant
For the shawarma marinade
For the wrap
- 2 TBSP Tahini sauce
- 1/2 Carrot
- 1 Tomato
- 4 Gherkins
- 1 Handful Flat leaf parsley
- 1 Handful Mint
- 1/4 Cucumber
- 1/2 Red onion
- 2 Flatbreads
For the shawarma aubergine
- Preheat the oven to 200 °C.
- Mix all the ingredients for the marinade together.
- Cut the aubergine lengthwise into finger-thick slices.
- Place the aubergine slices on a baking tray lined with baking paper and brush with the marinade on both sides. Use up the marinade completely.
- Bake the marinated aubergine in the oven for approx. 20 – 25 minutes.
Build vegan shawarma
- Prepare the tahini sauce according to the recipe.
- Peel the carrot and cut into sticks. Halve the cucumber and tomato and cut into half moons, slice the gherkin lengthwise, cut the onion into rings. Pluck the parsley and mint.
- Lay out the pita bread and cover with the baked aubergines. Spread the vegetables and herbs on top and drizzle with tahini sauce.
- Wrap and enjoy as a wrap or serve open-faced as a shawarma plate.