Harissa chicken with oven vegetables
I like it crispy and spicy! For this reason, this spicy harissa chicken with oven vegetables is one of my favorites from the oven. Harissa just does it to me - a spicy paste that is just so incredibly aromatic. And there are so many different ones: Some are spicier, some are smokier. It took me a few tubes and jars to find the right spice blend for me. My favorite harissa paste tastes slightly smoky and is neatly spicy! Absolutely perfect to rub into a juicy chicken. At the Harissa Fried Chicken I've already done it once, so now also had to get a version without breading.
Spicy oven vegetables and fresh mint sauce
Do you know Roadkill Chicken? The name is a bit strong and triggers confusing images in my head, but it is simply a chicken that has had the back removed. This allows you to flatten it, put it on the grill and the cooking time is reduced. So you don't have to wait too long for your tasty harissa chicken.
For me, a super crispy rooster also includes side dishes and, of course, a sauce. Without sauce, without me! Here, of course, a well-seasoned oven vegetables lends itself, because the oven is already running at full speed anyway. And while everything is slowly crisping, there is enough time to puree mint and yogurt with spices in no time with the hand blender to a refreshing mint sauce. Because this brings a little lightness to the sumptuous meal.
Do you have plans for the weekend? Not yet?! Ok, then do it now! Invite some friends over, let the oven do the work, and treat yourself to a crispy, spicy serving of harissa chicken with oven vegetables and mint sauce!
Recipe for harissa chicken with oven vegetables
- Chopper or hand blender
For the harissa chicken
For the oven vegetables
For the mint sauce
- 300 g Yogurt (10%)
- 30 g fresh mint
- 1 TBSP Lemon juice
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 180 °C degrees convection.
- Rinse chicken with cold water and rub dry properly. Remove the back piece with poultry shears and flatten the chicken.
- Mix harissa paste with tomato paste, lemon juice, olive oil and salt.
- Rub chicken all over with the spice paste and bake in a hot oven for about 1 hour until crispy. You can also let the chicken marinade overnight, so it becomes even spicier.
- Wash the peppers, beef tomatoes and potatoes. Remove seeds from peppers and cut into wedges with the other vegetables.
- Drain and rinse chickpeas and add to vegetables. Mix in spices and oil and mix well.
- Place the oven vegetables in the oven with the chicken and bake for about 45 minutes until crispy. Alternatively, you can place the chicken on top of the vegetables and roast both together on a baking tray, but then the vegetables will not be quite as crispy.
- Wash mint, chop finely or put in a chopper with lemon juice and puree finely. Then mix chopped mint with yogurt and cumin and season with salt.
- Serve harissa chicken with oven vegetables and mint sauce.
Is your chicken hunger not yet satisfied? Then maybe the Levantine fried chicken or the spicy chicken skewers will do the trick.