After a long day at the office, I’m often just really hungry – but when am I not really hungry? A few years ago I could eat whatever I wanted without any negative consequences. Today, my scales hiss at me if I even let my eyes wander in the direction of a bag of crisps. I hate these scales … But that’s another story. Today it’s all about kafta with oven vegetables.
After work, I often tidy up a bit, talk to my family on the phone and surf the internet a bit. It’s really great when I can do all that while my dinner cooks itself. This recipe doesn’t need much of your time or attention. The kafta balls can be prepared in no time and luckily you only have to slice the vegetables. Then layer everything and put it in the oven for 30 minutes. In the meantime, you can do other things – like tidy up, make a phone call or surf the net. And if you’re in a hurry, do what my mother did:
My mother sometimes just chops the vegetables roughly and doesn’t layer them, but just throws vegetables and kafta colourfully on the tray and then puts them in the oven. She does this especially when she has become addicted to one of her beloved Bollywood series or telenovelas again. The oven does the rest of the work while she watches the unspeakable tragedies of the rich and beautiful. The schmaltzy melodies or the loud sobs of broken hearts may drive everyone else crazy – but in the end, everyone is happy when those 30 minutes are up and it’s “dinner’s ready!”.
Kafta with oven vegetables is classic Lebanese home cooking. Simple, rich and incredibly delicious. By the way, Lebanese butter rice goes perfectly with it as a side dish.
Recipe for Kafta with oven vegetables
- Prepare the mince for the kafta according to the recipe.
- Preheat the oven to 180 °C.
- Peel the potato and onion.
- Slice the aubergine, onion, potato and tomatoes.
- Coat the baking tray or casserole dish properly with olive oil.
- Cover the tray / dish with aubergine, layer the kafta balls on top, then the onion rings, potatoes and finally the tomatoes.
- Don't forget the salt and pepper 😉
- Bake everything in the oven for about 40 minutes.