Roast chicken is always such a thing… I have certain requirements. It should be juicy and flavorful! Because dry and bland chicken does not make me happy. Then, of course, the side dishes play a role. Instead of fries, I prefer it when you tear off a piece of pita bread, wrap a piece of the chicken in it and then dip it in the mayonnaise – boah! Add to that some pickled cucumbers and the roast chicken from the oven is gone in no time.
Make lemon mayonnaise yourself
Have you ever tried mayo with lemon zest? Mayonnaise has the reputation of being incredibly greasy and heavy. This mayo is no different from other mayonnaises in fat content, but the taste is uniquely light. When I tried the lemon may onnaise for the first time, I was surprised at how fresh and light it tasted. By the way, there is also some lemon in the marinade for chicken.
The perfect roast chicken marinade
Do you buy your roast chicken seasoning or do you mix it yourself? I’ve tried many different ones, but the best is still the family recipe. The perfect roast chicken marinade for juicy and flavorful chicken from the oven consists of just a few ingredients:
- Olive oil
- Lemon juice
- and of course some salt and pepper
The marinade contains a lot of acid, which ensures that the connective tissue of the meat is loosened. And the changed structure makes the meat really nice and tender.
So get to work: mix the marinade together and make really juicy roast chicken from the oven. Have fun with it and of course I wish you a good appetite.
Recipe for roast chicken with lemon mayonnaise
- Roaster or deep baking tray
For the chicken
For the mayonnaise
- 1 Organic lemon
- 2 Egg yolk (very fresh)
- 2 teaspoon Mustard
- 250 ml Sunflower oil
- Clean roast chicken, pat dry and set aside.
- Peel and crush the garlic clove and mix with the yogurt, oil, lemon juice and all the spices.
- Rub the chicken well with the yogurt marinade and let it marinate in it for at least 1 hour in the refrigerator.
- Preheat oven to 180° C.
- Place chicken, breast side down, in a roasting pan or on a deep baking sheet and roast in the oven for 30 minutes.
- Put the roast chicken on its back and let it roast for another 40 minutes.
- While the chicken is sizzling, wash the lemon well and rub dry. Peel the zest and squeeze the juice from one half of the lemon.
- Whisk the egg yolk with the mustard.
- Gradually add the oil very slowly while mixing. Make sure that you only add a little more oil once it has all been absorbed.
- Season the mayo with salt and finally stir in the zest of a whole lemon.
Can’t get enough of chicken? Then try the spicy Harissa chicken with oven vegetables or the classic Musakhan – Levantine fried chicken on sumac onions & pita bread.