Swoof is a Lebanese turmeric cake. And clearly one of my favorite cakes. I’m really into the special taste of turmeric – but I’ve also learned that the flavor isn’t for everyone. But if you go for it and try Swoof, you’ll be in for an unexpected taste sensation. Of course, I have the recipe for you.
Yellow, yellow, turmeric cake
“A little oily and dry”… That’s right! This yellow cake is made with a large portion of semolina and oil. This is done without the egg, which is usually mixed in the cake batter. “That’s on purpose – Swoof doesn’t come alone!”….
Swoof is often served with black tea(chai, in our country all tea is called chai) or a small cup of mocha with cardamom. Personally, I also like to have a glass of warm milk with cinnamon and a small dash of rose water. Then, when I dip a piece of cake into the milk, Swoof gives off some of its golden color. It warms the cockles of your heart.
Not a classic sponge cake
Swoof is a bit drier than other sponge cakes. Therefore, you should cover it after cooling, otherwise it will lose moisture and become crumbly. The consistency of the golden cake is influenced by the semolina. Because this semolina cake is baked from the following ingredients:
- Baking powder
- Sunflower oil
- and pine nuts for decoration
So you can serve the Swoof perfectly with a hot drink on a small plate. The best thing to do is to put on your baking apron and try out the recipe. Have fun with it.
Recipe for Swoof – turmeric cake
- Baking dish (30 x 40 cm)
For the cake
To bake for the mold
- 4 – 5 Tablespoon Tahini
- Sieve the flour, turmeric and baking powder and mix with the semolina and sugar.
- Add the milk and oil and mix everything into a dough.
- Add the tahini and continue stirring.
- Now let the dough rest for 30 minutes and in the meantime heat the oven to 180° C.
- Grease the baking tin properly with tahini and then pour in the batter.
- Sprinkle the surface with pine nuts.
- Bake turmeric cake for 30 minutes at 180°.
- Then let the cake cool and cut into pieces about 5 x 5 cm.