The idea for this lentil spread actually came to me after I really messed up a lentil dish. I had forgotten Belugalinsen with garlic simmering on the stove. Of course, the lentils were overcooked, but somehow had a nice creamy consistency - perfect to spread on a fresh piece of baguette.
Lentil spread homemade
Food waste I do not like so at all and have me after the small "mistake / accident" in the kitchen directly to work to save the lentils yet.
I then mixed the beluga lentils with some harissa, garlic, strained tomatoes and a few spices. This works but certainly not only with black lentils, but also with red lentils.
Then I pureed everything and provided the lentil spread with a good portion of best olive oil. The olive oil makes the spread a little creamier and richer in flavor.
That's about it. When the lentil spread is ready, you can simply transfer it to a clean and sterile jar and store it in the refrigerator for a few days - if the spread survives that long and you don't use it up right away.
Such a homemade lentil spread is clearly advantageous because you alone decide what goes in. No preservatives, no fillers, no funny numbers on the label.
And if you then have a taste for it, you can of course also super change and vary the recipe for the lentil spread. For example, with lentils and peppers or lentils with zucchini.
The lentil spread I have treated myself directly with a crusty baguette for supper. But I can also imagine very well that he generally goes down well as an appetizer with bread.
Recipe for lentil spread with harissa
- 1 canning jar sterile
- Rinse beluga lentils under running water.
- Peel and press the garlic.
- Briefly boil the beluga lentils with water, strained tomatoes and garlic.
- Stir in harissa, salt, turmeric and cumin and cook for about 30 minutes with the lid closed over medium heat until tender.
- Remove garlic and finely puree lentils with a hand blender.
- Stir in olive oil and oregano and season to taste.
- Put the lentil spread in a sterile jar. It will keep in the refrigerator for a few days.
If you feel like more delicious dips & creams, then feel free to look around here in the category. Personally, I can also only recommend the wonderfully creamy pumpkin-feta dip to you - unbelievably good!