Marble cake – an absolute classic all over the world. Look at the photo: The cake looks like any other cake baked in a Guglhupfform. And also quite classic: the topping with the icing sugar. But this cake here hides a small but fine secret.
The marble cake is full of oriental flavours. While experimenting, we wondered what 2 or 3 tablespoons of tahini could do. The experiment was a success. The tahini gives the cake its typical nutty character without putting itself in the foreground. Add a little cinnamon and the classic dough is spiced up. Only one thing is missing … the crowning glory!
Icing sugar with cardamom! I don’t know how I came up with it, but I’m very glad I had this flash of inspiration. Before your taste buds hit the cake, the scent of cardamom already enters your consciousness and says: HELLOOO MY FRIEND!
So if you want to surprise your friends with a time-honoured classic, then go for it 😉
Recipe for Tahini Marble Cake with Cardamom Dust
- Preheat the oven to 180 °C.
- Grease the cake tin with a little butter.
- Mix flour with baking powder and cinnamon.
- Beat the butter with the sugar and vanilla sugar until creamy.
- Add the eggs and continue to stir.
- Gradually stir in the milk and flour/baking powder mixture.
- Stir in the tahini.
- Transfer 2/3 of the batter into the greased tin.
- Melt the chocolate in a bowl over a water bath.
- Mix the remaining 1/3 batter with cocoa and melted chocolate.
- Spread the chocolate batter over the light batter in the cake tin.
- Now make swirls in the dough with a fork or wooden skewer. To do this, simply dip the fork/skewer into the dough and make circular movements. For an extreme pattern, you can also take a spoon and press the dough down from above and vice versa.
- Now bake everything in the preheated oven for approx. 45 minutes. Before you take the cake out, please check that it is cooked: pierce the cake with a skewer or knife. If something is still stuck to it, it needs a little longer. If there is nothing left, take it out.
- Allow the cake to cool completely and then turn it out of the tin.
- Mix the icing sugar with the cardamom and spread over the cake in a small sieve.
Be sure to try the date cake too.