Nils and Nani are two very good friends of mine and, fortunately for me, also passionate gardeners. They have a field here in Düsseldorf on the Rhine. They work and harvest from April to October. The other day, they gave me a whole bunch of courgette flowers. I love courgette flowers and last time I had them on a pizza in Italy – delicious! I decided to make an omelette with feta and za’atar.
By the way, I also tried my hand at a field last year and failed miserably. You have to go there all the time! Watering, pulling weeds, killing potato beetles (that was disgusting!). Yes, and the good vegetables that somehow managed to survive my “gardening skills” and see the sunlight had to be protected from ravenous bunnies. The rabbits won.
You can actually conjure up quite a few from courgette flowers. They taste delicately nutty and just as a courgette should taste. There are some people who think courgettes have no flavour of their own. Try a courgette flower. Then you will know that this is not true.
I had the blossoms on a pizza in Rome, but I have also filled them myself with goat cheese and baked them in the pan – mega! This time they refined my omelette.
The recipe is very quick and the omelette also looks good. Refined with feta and za’atar, it is perfect for breakfast, a small lunch or a low-carb dinner.
Thanks again to Nils and Nani who, unlike me, always win against the bunnies 🙂
Recipe for omelette with courgette flowers and za’atar
- Peel and finely chop the garlic.
- Remove the pistils from the flowers.This is the part inside the flower that protrudes into the flower like a stick. The pistil tastes bitter and should not be included in the dish.
- Whisk the eggs with salt, pepper, cumin and mint.
- Heat the olive oil in a frying pan over medium heat.
- Roast the garlic very briefly (about 20 seconds) in the olive oil.
- Pour the beaten egg mixture into the pan and spread the flowers on top.
- Put the lid on the pan and let the omelette cook for about 3 minutes.You can now either turn the omelet over and let it cook for another 2 minutes and then spread feta on top or … You can already spread feta on the omelet directly and fold it over and let it cook again for about 1 minute on each side.
- Lift omelet from pan onto a plate and sprinkle with za'atar.