Smashed Potatoes with Harissa Mayo
Tüfte are a really fine thing. I love them cooked, mashed, mashed, as chips, as soup - I could go on forever. By taters, of course, I mean potatoes - my inner Lord of the Rings nerd came up again while I was writing this. I especially like potatoes when they can show their full superpower and are nice and fluffy on the inside, but crispy on the outside. Like these ingenious smashed potatoes with harissa mayo!
Smash it, like it's hot!
I especially like this recipe because I don't have to peel the potatoes. I hate it and it takes so much time. Yet there are so many important and good vitamins and minerals in the skin and just underneath. So I just wash the tubers briefly and boil them in salted water. As soon as they are done, they are quickly strained and then polished on a baking tray. No, we don't want to be that mean about it, do we? Of course, they are gently and lovingly mashed until they become flat. A small portion of olive oil then ensures that they get really toasty and crunchy on the outside in the oven. On the inside, they stay soft and fluffy.
Harissa mayo: creamy, spicy deliciousness!
Let's just say that my sense of sharpness is very practised and therefore sometimes a little different from others. So I'm happy to give myself a good spicy treat without fainting. Don't run away now! Harissa is indeed spicy, but this mayo here is absolutely fine even for not-so-practised spicy eaters. You can taste the lovely spice of the harissa in the creamy mayonnaise without wanting to roll in yoghurt to chill straight afterwards - trust me! Once you've tried this combination of smashed potatoes and harissa mayo, you'll keep coming back to this recipe idea. For an aromatic finish, I add a small portion of coriander to the smashed potatoes and a drop or two of olive oil to round it off. If you don't like cilantro, you can of course use parsley or just leave out the herbs. Either way: I'm sure you'll enjoy these potatoes and I wish you bon appétit.
Recipe for Smashed Potatoes with Harissa Mayo
For the harissa mayo
- 1 Egg
- 1 TBSP Lemon juice
- 1 TSP Mustard
- 150 ml Oil, neutral (e.g. sunflower or rapeseed oil)
- 2 TL Harissa
For the potatoes
- 500 g Potatoes, floury
- 2 TBSP Olive oil
- 15 g Coriander
Prepare the harissa mayo
- Crack the egg and separate the white from the yolk. Egg white is not needed and can be used elsewhere.
- Beat the egg yolks with the mustard, lemon juice and a pinch of salt with a hand mixer in a tall container or bowl.
- Slowly add the oil little by little until everything becomes a mayonnaise.
- Stir in the harissa briefly and season with salt if necessary.
- Wash the potatoes and then boil them with their skins in salted water for approx. 20 - 25 minutes until they are cooked. (Test in between)
- Preheat the oven to 180 °C top/bottom heat.
- Strain the potatoes and place on a baking tray and press down with a masher or fork.
- Brush the potatoes with olive oil.
- Bake the potatoes for about 15 minutes.
- Coarsely chop the coriander.
- Serve the potatoes with harissa mayo and coriander. If desired, drizzle with a little olive oil.
Need a refreshing drink to go with your smashed potatoes? Then I recommend the pomegranate iced tea and the mint iced tea - delicious!