Tomato rice with roasted aubergine
Few ingredients, massive flavour: These are the best recipes for me. This incredibly delicious tomato rice with roasted aubergine is a prime example. Your shopping list stays short and you still get a fantastic meal full of flavours. Vegan cuisine doesn't always have to be pea protein and off the shelf. I want to show you what a good mix of roasted and braised flavours can do with this recipe.
Summer all year round
When it's rainy again in summer or you're freezing your ..... off in winter, then you should definitely treat yourself to this tomato rice with roasted aubergine. Whenever I need a little summer in my heart, I fire up the oven and cooker and whip up this meal.
Basically, this recipe is a very classic rice pot with vegetables. Perfect at any time of the year and also perfect to prepare a good lunch for the office or a day out. But for me, the special thing here is the mega good mix of roasted and braised flavours.
Roasting and braising
This recipe is really super easy! While you roast the aubergine in the oven at a high temperature, the deliciously sweet and aromatic cherry tomatoes stew in the pot with onions, garlic, spices and coriander. The smell alone is beguiling. Always make sure you use good quality food, because that's when it's at its best.
Then the basmati rice is added to the pot. Then it's just a matter of putting the lid on, setting the table and the rest takes care of itself. By the way, the tomato rice stays really saucy and tastes great both warm and cold.
If you want to add a little fire to the tomato rice, season it with a good portion of harissa. By the way, a small dollop of (vegetable) yoghurt always goes really well with the rice pot.
Recipe for tomato rice with roasted aubergine
- Preheat the oven to 225 °C top and bottom heat and line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Remove the aubergine stalk and cut the aubergines into pieces.
- Spread the aubergine cubes on the baking tray, drizzle with a little olive oil and sprinkle with a pinch of salt and mix together briefly. Then cook in the oven for approx. 25 - 30 minutes.
- Peel and dice the onions and garlic.
- Halve the cherry tomatoes, quarter the other half.
- Chop coriander
- Put the rice in a fine sieve and wash under running water until the water is no longer milky.
- Heat the olive oil in a saucepan over a high heat and sauté the chopped onions and garlic for about 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, coriander and 1/2 tsp salt and sauté for another 5 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste (and optional harissa) and fry for about 2 minutes.
- Add the rice, mix everything together briefly, stir in the spices and deglaze with vegetable stock.
- Bring to the boil briefly and then turn down to the lowest setting, put on the lid and cook for approx. 20 - 25 minutes. Stir carefully in between.
- Coarsely chop the parsley.
- Serve the rice and garnish with roasted aubergine cubes and parsley.
- Optional: Serve with a dollop of (vegetable) yoghurt.
Try the rice pot with vegetables and chicken.
This recipe is absolutely amazing. I love your blog so much, thank you for existing!
wow! Thank you so much for the fantastic feedback 🙂 I'm really happy that you like it so much 🙂 I'm so glad you like it so much.
I am really happy that you like it so much 🙂
I can only agree. A fantastic and healthy recipe. All the photos are a visual delight. You can always rely on the recipes, everything turns out perfectly. When with me the question arises: What do I cook today? I always look at you first. It always tastes excellent for the whole family. Thank you very much, Sylvia
thank you so much for your fantastic feedback! I'm really happy that you like the blog and the recipes so much 🙂