Vegetable pan with chickpeas and halloumi
A tasty vegetable skillet is always a good choice when you need to get things done quickly and you don't have a good idea what to do with the fresh vegetables in your fridge. So just put everything in the pan, season it well and you'll usually end up with some really tasty food - yaaay! But let's take the quick veggie skillet to a higher level.
Leftover recycling deluxe!
Such a quick vegetable pan is always a great way for me to use leftovers. Whenever I still have fresh food that I had not yet planned or simply left over from another dish, then they just go into the pan. What always fits for me are peppers, tomatoes, eggplant and zucchini - my personal favorites! But you can also throw in squash, sweet potatoes, beans, etc. for example. Just see what you still have there. For example, I had half a can of chickpeas still open and just stirred them into the veggie pan. Chickpeas always go anyway and are a good source of protein.
Since I am a very big fan of Halloumi, I actually always have a pack of the squeaky cheese in the fridge. Just fry it briefly and add it to the vegetables - easy! So really next level is the vegetable pan for me but only with the wonderfully fragrant butter rice as a side dish. The butter rice is really easy and quick to make. Maybe you even put it on first and then take care of the vegetables. The rice then stays nice and warm in the pot and you can start right away, as soon as you are done with the vegetable pan.
With me there is actually hardly a dish that is not topped with fresh herbs. My recommendation for this vegetable pan with chickpeas and halloumi is fresh mint. But if you have other herbs, you can of course use them as well. Let your creativity run wild - or just see what leftovers are in your fridge. Enjoy your meal!
Recipe for vegetable pan with chickpeas and halloumi
- 1 Onion
- 2 Garlic cloves
- 1 small eggplant
- 1 small zucchini
- 1 red bell bell pepper
- 4 TBSP Olive oil
- 2 TBSP Tomato paste
- 1 TSP Cumin
- 1 TSP Fenugreek
- 1/2 Chili flakes
- 265 g Chickpeas
- 100 ml Water
- 200 g Halloumi
- 1/2 Bunch Mint
- Recipe butter rice
- Prepare the butter rice according to the recipe.
- Peel the onion and garlic. Halve the onion and cut into slices. Finely chop the garlic.
- Wash eggplant, zucchini and bell bell pepper. Quarter eggplant and cut into pieces. Halve zucchini and cut into slices. Halve bell bell pepper, remove seeds and cut into strips.
- Heat half of the oil in a large skillet and sauté onions and garlic for about 3 minutes.
- Add the vegetables to the pan and sauté for about 5 minutes.
- Add tomato paste and spices and fry briefly.
- Drain the chickpeas and stir them in.
- Deglaze vegetables with water and simmer over low heat for about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cut the halloumi into slices.
- Heat remaining oil in a frying pan and fry halloumi slices until crispy on both sides.
- Wash and finely chop the mint.
- Arrange vegetable pan with chickpeas and halloumi on a plate and garnish with mint.
Are you in the mood for more quick and easy recipes? Then you should definitely try the cauliflower steaks on bean puree and the smashed potatoes with harissa mayo.