Just the other day our doorbell rang and the neighbor stood in front of me with a large basket full of apples. Where this basket comes from, there are many more of them, she told me. Would I take some of them from her? Of course! I wanted to bake the days anyway a delicious apple pie with walnuts.
Buttery and fluffy with a hint of cardamom
Such a wonderfully fluffy apple pie is always a really great thing! And once you have a good basic recipe, you can easily modify it to your heart's content.
I opted for an apple pie with walnuts, raisins and cardamom. Raisins and walnuts are best friends anyway, but together with a slightly tart variety of apples and a touch of cardamom comes here really mood!
The raisins and walnuts in particular add different consistencies and textures to the fluffy cakes. As with my savory dishes, I love it when there is still some crunch.
Since I am a really absolute fan of cinnamon, this fantastic spice simply can not be missing. So every piece of the apple pie with walnuts puts me in a super cozy autumn mood. This usually means for me that I can bum on the couch all day on the weekend and play video games without having a guilty conscience.
But even with the most demanding (or undemanding) games, there has to be a (forced) break at some point. After all, I can't drink apple pie and a hot coffee or tea at the same time while gaming - I tried it once, it was definitely not a good idea. Have fun baking and a good appetite!
Recipe for apple pie with walnuts, raisins and cardamom
- Preheat oven to 180°C top/bottom heat and grease springform pan.
- Peel apples, cut into quarters and slice lengthwise.
- Beat butter with sugar, vanilla extract, lemon zest and eggs with a hand mixer or food processor until fluffy.
- Mix flour, baking powder, cinnamon, cardamom and salt.
- Fold flour mixture into butter-egg mixture and mix until smooth.
- Add the raisins and spread the dough in the lined springform pan.
- Spread cut apple quarters over the cake and press lightly into the batter.
- Coarsely chop walnuts, spread on the cake and bake the cake in the oven for about 45 minutes.
- Let apple pie with walnuts cool on a cooling rack or serve lukewarm.