Dipping cookies in coffee is one of my favorite things to do when I’m sitting in a cafe on a rainy afternoon and watching the hustle and bustle outside. And so I came up with the idea for the ultimate chocolate cookies with mocha! Because why not just combine two delicacies into one gigantically good delicacy? And the special thing about this simple chocolate cookie recipe: you use mocha instead of coffee! Because so the crispy cookies still get a warm, sweet note.
Mocha – Lebanese coffee with cardamom
I knew mocha until now as espresso or coffee with a touch of cocoa. Rafik just shook his head and then prepared me a real, genuine Lebanese mocha with cardamom. I was surprised and kind of intrigued – strong coffee enhanced with mild cardamom. So for your chocolate cookies, a real Lebanese mocha is essential. Don’t have any at home? Then you can cheat a bit and use espresso and a bit of ground cardamom instead of the mocha. The other day I had a mocha with cinnamon – also interesting and will certainly be incorporated into one or another recipe.
Chocolate cookies easy to make yourself
Have you ever made cookies yourself? Maybe even the marble cookies with tahini or are you brand new to cookie baking? It doesn’t matter, because this recipe is so simple that it can only succeed! Very important for these sensational chocolate cookies is a good chocolate. I recommend a dark chocolate with at least 70% cocoa content. Depending on how sweet you like it, you can also use a bitter chocolate – I always tend to use extra high cocoa content, because the cookies are still fed with a good portion of sugar. So choose your chocolate carefully to make your chocolate chip cookies extra delicious, too.
If you have the two most important ingredients, good mocha and good chocolate, then you only need the usual suspects such as flour, sugar, butter, etc. You probably have them in your pantry. And then all you have to do is mix all the ingredients together, form them into a roll, cut slices and bake them in the oven until crispy. You can also use a spoon or an ice cream sc oop to put the dough on the baking sheet. Important: leave enough space between the cookies, because they will rise during baking.
When baking, the chocolate cookies with cardamom exude a wonderful scent in the kitchen … you can enjoy it first. Once the cookies are cool, you can give them a green glaze of white chocolate and pistachio paste. On top you can also sprinkle some chopped pistachios, but they are rather optional. In general, the glaze is optional, but it looks nicer.
Make the chocolate chip cookies however you like, but make them! Have fun with it.
Recipe for chocolate cookies with mocha
For the chocolate cookies
- 150 g Butter
- 80 g Sugar
- 100 g brown sugar
- 1 Egg
- 1 pinch Salt
- 200 g Wheat flour type 405
- 1/4 TSP Baking powder
- 30 g Cocoa
- 40 ml Mocha
- 50 g chopped dark chocolate or chocolate drops
For the glaze
- 30 g white chocolate
- 2 TBSP Pistachio puree
For the chocolate cookies
- Preheat oven to 180 °C top/bottom heat.
- Beat butter and sugar until fluffy. Add egg and salt and beat until creamy.
- Mix flour, baking powder, cocoa and mocha and add gradually.
- Fold in chopped chocolate and mocha.
- Shape the dough into a roll about 30 cm long. If the dough is too soft, you can wrap it in cling film and put it in the freezer for 10 minutes. Then it can be worked better again.
- Cut the dough roll into slices about 2 cm thick and place them on a baking tray lined with baking paper. Be sure to leave enough space between the slices, because they will still separate during baking.
- Bake chocolate cookies for about 10-15 minutes and then let cool.
For the glaze
- Melt white chocolate over a water bath and mix with pistachio paste.
- Using a spoon, dip into the glaze and pipe thin strands over the cooled cookies.