After I made the super aromatic pistachio ice cream the other day, I had the idea for mocha ice cream with cardamom. Because I love ice creams that are a bit unusual. What I say, actually I feast every ice cream away in no time.
Mocha - Lebanese coffee
Mocha in Lebanon is usually prepared with freshly roasted and ground cardamom. This makes the mocha a bit more digestible and adds another delicious flavor. It is totally super that in Lebanon there is at least one coffee roaster in every town where you can put together your own blend - if you want. Everything is then individually freshly roasted and ground. Industrially packaged coffee is only bought if there is no other way.
Visiting a roaster is always a great experience for me. Even before you enter, there is an incredible smell of coffee and cardamom. In addition to coffee, the roaster usually offers a large selection of different nuts, seeds and snacks.
So it was high time to turn one of the favorite drinks of the Lebanese into a delicious ice cream - the creamy mocha ice cream with cardamom.
When I went to photograph the ice cream, I laid out the table with whole mocha beans and cardamom pods. The effect was crazy - it smelled so fantastic that I instantly felt transported to my favourite roasting house in Aley...
Recipe for mocha ice cream with cardamom
Ingredients for the mocha
- 300 ml Water
- 3-4 heaped teaspoons Mocha powder
Ingredients for the mocha ice cream
- 2 Cardamom pods
- 1 Vanilla bean
- 4 Egg yolk
- 110 g Sugar
- 250 ml Whole milk
- 250 ml Cream
- 200 ml Mocha
- Bring water to a boil in a mocha pot (or small saucepan).
- Briefly remove the pot from the heat and stir in the mocha powder.
- Put the pot back on the stove and let it simmer for a short time.Caution: Mocha likes to boil over!
Preparation mocha ice cream
- Crush the cardamom pods in a mortar or spice grinder.
- Scrape the pulp from the vanilla bean.
- Separate the egg whites from the yolks.
- Beat the egg yolks with the sugar until creamy.
- Put the milk, cream, crushed cardamom pods and vanilla pulp in a saucepan and heat the mixture, stirring, until just before boiling point, then take the saucepan off the heat - please do not let it boil.
- Sieve out the cardamom pods.
- Now slowly stir the hot mixture into the egg yolk and heat everything again until it becomes nice and creamy. When the ice cream mixture sticks to the back of the spoon, it is perfect.
- Now add the mocha and let the ice cream mixture cool to room temperature.
- Put the ice cream mixture into an ice cream maker and let the ice cream freeze for about 60 minutes.Tip: Before the ice cream becomes really firm, you can add coarsely chopped mocha beans for crunch.