Okra in tomato sauce
Long time no see … I know, at the moment the recipes are a bit behind schedule. I would much rather surprise you every week with a new delicious recipe. I hope to be able to get back to full speed by the end of September. The ideas and recipes are already piling up and I can’t wait to tackle them all. But now I have one of my favourite Quick recipes: Okra in tomato sauce.
Whenever there used to be okra in tomato sauce, we knew that Badia either didn’t have time or didn’t want to cook. Of course, my brothers and sisters and I didn’t care – because we love this dish. And so much so that the plates look like freshly washed off afterwards. There is nothing better than taking the last bit of aromatic tomato sauce with a piece of flatbread – this is absolute soul food.
And if it should go particularly fast today after work, but I do not want to do without cooking and something really tasty (when would I like that?!??), I would like to cook this classic of Lebanese cuisine.
To be honest, the dish is actually called Okra in oil. Many dishes have two variants: One with meat (okra stew) – then the dish is simply called “… with meat”. It’s clear, isn’t it?
And there is a version without meat, which is then called”… in oil”. In oil – what else can you call a dish without meat?!? The Lebanese sometimes have a bit of a strange language logic, I know. I think tomato sauce is better. Sounds better too, doesn’t it? 😉
Actually, okra in tomato sauce is not only meatless, but even vegan. Fried onions, garlic, fruity tomatoes, a hint of cinnamon, a few okra and about 30 minutes of your time – that’s all you need. The result is an incredible flatterer. Once started, I only stop eating again when the plate is bare.
But what am I talking about – try it for yourself 😉
Ingredients for 4 portions:
- 400 g small okra pods
- 2 -3 onions
- 3 -4 cloves of garlic
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 400 g peeled tomatoes (incl. liquid)
- 100 ml water
- 6 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Salt, pepper
- It goes best with Lebanese flatbread.
- Peel onions and garlic.
- Halve the onions and cut them into crescents.
- Lightly crush the garlic.
- Heat the olive oil in a medium heat in a pot and fry the onions for about 5 – 7 minutes.
- Increase the temperature and fry the okra, tomato paste and garlic for about 5 minutes.
- Now add the peeled tomatoes and the water. Mix them all together and put the stove on a medium level.
- Season with cinnamon, salt and pepper and simmer for 10-15 minutes. (I also like to crush the peeled tomatoes, so they spread better.)
- Serve the okra in tomato sauce with flatbread or baguette. You can enjoy it warm or cold.
Enjoy your meal 🙂