When I'm grilling, I sometimes actually look forward more to a really good pasta salad than to anything thrown on the grill. And that's despite the fact that I really do enjoy grilling. Cravings are sometimes a bit strange. But luckily you don't always have to choose 😉 I'm not the only one.
This wonderfully fresh pasta salad is an evolution of my aubergine salad. The smoky note of the grilled aubergine combined with fresh mint and parsley is perfect for a sunny day in the garden. The aubergine is joined by fruity cherry tomatoes. But before these go into the salad, they are first gently cooked (confit) in a pan with really lots of the best olive oil and garlic. Don't worry, this only takes 10 minutes. But in that short time, the tomatoes with the garlic and olive oil give off such a fantastic aroma that I can't help but stand next to them.
The dressing? The tomatoes and garlic add so much flavour to the olive oil that you don't need any additional dressing. Once you've mixed all the ingredients together, all you need to do is season with salt and za'atar and you've got a pasta salad of the highest order.
Recipe for pasta salad with grilled aubergine and confit cherry tomatoes
- Cook the pasta according to the instructions on the packet and quench.
- Cook the aubergine on the hot grill for approx. 20 - 30 minutes. Alternatively, cook aubergine in the oven at approx. 225 °C for 35 minutes.
- Skin the aubergine and cut the flesh into small cubes.
- Halve the tomatoes. Peel and finely slice the garlic.
- Heat the olive oil in a pan over medium heat and cook the garlic and tomatoes with salt and sugar for about 10 minutes (confit).
- Roughly chop the herbs.
- Cut the spring onion into rings.
- Mix the noodles with all the prepared ingredients. Season to taste with salt and za'atar and leave to stand for approx. 10 minutes.