Filoteig and I had a somewhat difficult past. Somehow we always ignored each other a bit. When we did, we only met during occasional baklava escalations. The feta packets with fresh thyme and persimmon caramelized in honey now brought the turn - my goodness, why did I not come up with this idea earlier?
Like a hearty baklava!
Yes, you read absolutely right! These feta packets with persimmon have already reminded me a little of baklava. First of all, there's the super crispy filo dough that the feta was wrapped in. So the texture of the feta packets is super crispy and nice and crumbly inside.
The highlight are then the persimmons caramelized in honey. I didn't miss the chance to carefully add a drop or two of rose water. So if you then have a piece of the crispy feta packets with some of the persimmon together in your mouth, you know for sure what I mean. It's really like baklava - only savory.
A perfect appetizer - even for a feast!
If you're looking for a really unusual and easy-to-prepare appetizer, then you should definitely consider the feta parcels with thyme and caramelized persimmon! I'm sure your guests will be asking for the recipe.
By the way, the preparation is really super simple and quickly done. You simply cut an elongated sheet of filo dough and brush it well with ghee or butter. This is then very similar to the crispy cheese rolls. Then crumble the feta and put it on the filo dough and then just roll it up. By the way, I gave the packets a za'atar topping.
Then place the feta packets in the preheated oven. While the packets bake and become crispy, you can then take care of the persimmons in peace. Just put some honey in a pan, add some fresh thyme and heat it up. And as I said, add some rose water and you will have an incredibly aromatic base for the persimmon.
You can cut the persimmon into slices or slices and fry them briefly in the flavored honey to caramelize them. Once the feta packets are ready, you can also serve directly while everything is still nice and hot and crispy. I just love this combination of savory, crunchy and fruity! Enjoy your meal!
Recipe for feta packets with thyme and caramelized persimmon
- Melt ghee or butter.
- Wash the lemon and grate the peel.
- Crumble feta or cut into pieces.
- Pluck half of the thyme and add to the feta with the lemon zest, za'atar, salt and pepper. If you crumbled the feta, then you can mix it all in. If you cut the feta into quarters, you can put everything on top of the feta once you put it on the dough.
- Preheat oven to 200°C top-bottom heat.
- Cut filo leaves in half.
- Coat a sheet of filo pastry with ghee or butter, place feta on top, fold in first the short side, then the long sides and roll up. Repeat this process until all the feta is wrapped.
- Place feta packets on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake in a hot oven for about 15 minutes until crisp.
- Meanwhile, wash the persimmon and cut into slices.
- Melt honey in a pan, add rose water and thyme and let it caramelize for about 2 minutes.