Lentil bulgur balls with pearl couscous in yogurt sauce - I probably wouldn't have come up with this recipe so quickly without a little prodding from my fellow blogger Sebastian from simply-vegan.org. He approached me and asked if I would not like to develop together with him delicious Levantine recipes - and vegan. Together with Tamara, Sebastian runs the food blog Simply Vegan, where both of them, of course, romp around the vegan diet. Whether you're looking for delicious vegan recipes or tips & tricks in general, including vegan merchandise knowledge, you'll really find everything your heart desires there.
Lentils and bulgur combined into delicious balls
Above I already said that it was about common recipes, so plural. One of these recipes has actually already appeared on their blog. So if you're in the mood for a delicious cauliflower eggplant pilaf, pay them a visit right now - or at least wait until you finish reading this post.
But now let's get back to lentils and bulgur. The idea to conjure up delicious little lentil-bulgur balls from these two ingredients was actually pretty quick. I love lentils and I love bulgur - so why not fuse them while we're on the topic of fusion food anyway. Together with roasted onions and spices like cumin, paprika and cinnamon, the balls actually turned out incredibly delicious and juicy. So you could also eat them plain. But I definitely recommend you to try the rest of the recipe as well, because in combination with the pearl couscous in the vegan yogurt sauce it becomes a real hit!
Yogurt sauce veganized
The yogurt sauce is actually a classic of Levantine cuisine, which I have slightly modified for this recipe simply with vegan yogurt. The original recipe comes from the dish Shishbarak - the stuffed dumplings in yogurt sauce. So vegan yogurt taken and cooked with garlic, cinnamon and dried mint to one of the most delicious sauces ever. In comes the Perlcouscous, which you can simply cook like pasta - well, actually it's a kind of pasta. And then when everything is nicely blended and the flavors have found each other, the delicious lentil bulgur balls come on top. And those who already know my recipes know: chopped nuts and fresh herbs are a must. Not just for looks, but for flavor and a crunchy texture to the pearly couscous and juicy balls. Bon appetit!
Recipe for lentil bulgur balls with pearl couscous in yogurt sauce
For the lentil bulgur balls
For the pearl couscous and yogurt sauce
For the topping
- 15 g Parsley
- 15 g Mint
- 30 g Almonds
Preparation lentil bulgur balls
- Peel and finely chop the onion and garlic.
- Rinse lentils under running water.
- Heat half of the oil in a saucepan and sauté the onions and garlic for about 3 minutes.
- Add lentils, fry briefly, pour water and simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Add bulgur, cumin, paprika, cinnamon, salt and pepper. Put the lid on the pot and let it simmer on low heat for about 15 minutes.
- Then stir well and allow to cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, cook the pearl couscous according to package directions.
- Wash and finely chop the parsley.
- Fold in starch and parsley and season lentil-bulgur mixture as needed.
- Form small balls from the lentil-bulgur mixture.
- Heat remaining olive oil in a pan and fry balls in it until crispy all over.
Preparation yogurt sauce
- Peel garlic and crush in a mortar or grate finely with a grater.
- Place yogurt and water in a saucepan and bring to a boil briefly. Then turn the heat to medium and simmer until the sauce thickens a bit.
- Stir garlic, mint and cinnamon into the sauce and season with salt and pepper.
- Stir in pearl couscous and keep warm.
- For the topping, wash and chop herbs. Also chop the almonds.
- Divide lentil-bulgur balls with pearl couscous in yogurt sauce on plates and top with herbs and almonds.