Eggplant Shakshuka | Quick & Easy
One of my favorite after work dishes is Shakshuka. Well, I always like to eat shakshuka for breakfast. It is quick and easy to make, tastes incredibly good and afterwards you only have a pan that you have to rinse. It was obvious that more variations would definitely have to come, right? Eggplant Shakshuka is a very welcome change from the basic recipe and is full of great roasted flavors and fruitiness.
One pan, everything in it!
Eggplant Shakshuka is an absolute soul warmer! Everything I need for myself after a long day comes together here. I just love tearing off a piece of pita bread and then just going into the pan with it to grab a bite. It's just delicious!
For the eggplant shakshuka you don't need so many ingredients. Basically, just an eggplant, canned tomatoes, a few eggs, onion, garlic, and spices like cinnamon, paprika, and salt and bell pepper. If you like it a bit spicier, feel free to go wild with some harissa and/or chili flakes.
So eggplant shakshuka is not only a simple and quickly made, but also inexpensive dish for everyday life. And you need conveniently for the preparation actually only one pan!
Can be perfectly prepared!
Sometimes dishes taste even better the next day. If you want and it fits better into your schedule, you can also prepare the sauce with the sautéed eggplant a day in advance and just let it sit until the next day - or you can make a double portion!
And when hunger calls, you can make the eggplant shakshuka very quickly. Simply heat the sauce, make wells in it with a spoon and sink the eggs in it. Your stove will do the rest.
For the special freshness I treat the delicious pan dish in any case a small load of fresh herbs. I have chosen parsley, mint and cilantro. Of course, you can vary them as you like. Just chop a little and sprinkle over the finished eggplant shakshuka. Enjoy your meal!
Recipe for eggplant shakshuka
- 500 g Eggplant
- 1 Onion
- 1 Garlic clove
- 6 Tablespoon Olive oil
- 1 teaspoon paprika powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Chili flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon
- Salt, pepper
- 400 g Tomato pulp / strained tomatoes
- 4 Eggs
- 15 g Parsley
- 15 g Coriander
- 15 g Mint
- Eggplant wash and and cut into large cubes.
- Sprinkle eggplant cubes with salt and drain in a colander.
- Meanwhile, peel and finely dice the onion and garlic.
- Heat half of the oil in a frying pan and sauté onions for about 3 minutes until translucent.
- Rinse eggplants with water and pat dry with paper towel.
- Add the remaining oil to the onions and fry the eggplants for about 5-7 minutes.
- Mix in garlic and spices and pour chunky tomatoes.
- Press four small wells into the eggplant shakshuka and add eggs. Put lid on pan and let eggs set for about 5-7 minutes over medium heat.
- Wash and chop the parsley, cilantro and mint.
- Sprinkle eggplant shakshuka with herbs and serve with pita bread.
Also be sure to try the pita bread shakshuka or the ratatouille shakshuka.
Sooo yummy!! Feels really good right now! Thank you! Love your blog!
thank you very much for your great feedback! I'm very glad that you liked it 🙂