Smashed sweet potatoes with sumac mayo
Smashed sweet potatoes with za'atar, chili and sumac mayo is a simple after-work dish that you can make quickly. Because often the big question is buzzing around in your head on the way home: what am I cooking today? It should be as quick as possible, because you're hungry and maybe you don't want to do any more cooking. Then it should also be reasonably healthy... Ok, the sumac mayo has it in itself, but the sweet potatoes are full of nutrients and vitamins.
Make mayonnaise yourself - the delicate dip
Smashed potatoes are already a big hit, but these smashed sweet potatoes are a big hit! The slight sweetness of the sweet potato contrasts beautifully with the tangy za'atar and tart sumac mayonnaise. Have you ever made your own mayonnaise?
In fact, you only need a handful of ingredients - including a good portion of vegetable oil. I recommend using a neutral oil like canola or sunflower oil, because others like olive oil have a strong flavor of their own.
Mayonnaise with olive oil can also be tasty, but it doesn't go well with this recipe. So grab eggs, mustard, lemon juice, sumac and neutral oil to make your delicate dip to go with the roasted sweet potatoes. Be careful not to add the oil too quickly, because then it won't combine as well with the other ingredients.
Your mayo won't emulsify? Then you may have poured the oil in too quickly. Whisk in a new egg yolk and gently stir in the old mayo mixture. Now everything should combine and you'll get a little more mayo, but it will be nice and creamy.
Your mayo is too runny? Then carefully pour in a little more oil, drop by drop, until it reaches the desired consistency.
Finally, the sumac is added to the dip. If you haven't cooked much with sumac before, go slowly and don't mix it all into the mayo right away. Sumac has a sour-tart flavor.
Smashed sweet potatoes - quick & easy recipe
You can of course trick with the mayo and buy ready-made. Then you simply mix in the sumac. This is also a good solution if you eat a vegan diet - so you don't have to do without the creamy dip.
For smashed sweet potatoes, all you have to do is wash the sweet potatoes, oil them, season them and put them in the oven. This gives you enough time to make the mayo or give yourself a few minutes of rest. Either way - bon appétit.
Recipe for Smashed Sweet Potatoes with Sumac Mayo
For the sweet potatoes
For the mayonnaise
- 2 Egg yolk
- 3 teaspoon Lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Mustard
- 300 ml Rapeseed or sunflower oil
- 2 teaspoon Sumac
Preparation sweet potatoes
- Preheat oven to 190°C convection oven.
- Wash sweet potatoes and cut into slices about 2 cm thick.
- Mix sweet potato slices with oil and half of the za'atar .
- Place seasoned sweet potatoes on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and roast in a preheated oven for about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, you can prepare the sumac mayonnaise.
- Set oven to 210 °C degrees.
- Press on the sweet potatoes with a glass or similar and bake in the oven for another 10 minutes until crispy.
- Smashed sweet potatoes sprinkle with chili and serve with mayo
- Bring all ingredients to room temperature.
- Put the egg yolks, mustard and sumac in a bowl and whisk with a mixer.
- Stir in the oil drop by drop or in a very thin stream while blending until a creamy mixture is formed.
- Season mayonnaise with a little lemon juice and salt.
- Alternatively, of course, you can buy mayonnaise and just mix it with sumac.
You want more treats from the potato family? Then try the super crispy batata harra or sweet potato "hummus".