This green bean salad with artichokes is in itself a real firework of flavors! Bedded on a super creamy bean puree, this becomes a truly irresistible appetizer to share and enjoy. The recipe goes really fast and is quite simple.
A poem of appetizer!
Just the other day we had visitors and I served the green bean salad with artichokes on bean puree as an appetizer. This was accompanied by crusty baguette. I was already quite curious what the friends say when they see the plate. I can say directly: The appearance alone was more than well received.
The mixture of briefly blanched princess beans with tender artichokes and a whole armada of green herbs is already beautiful. This then on a creamy mush of white beans with lemon is then not only visually a great contrast, but also taste. The princess beans are still slightly crunchy and the mush on the other hand wonderfully creamy. By the way, the appetizer is thus also vegan and very rich in protein.
Green bean salad and the fresh dressing
This appetizer has a lot of flavor! This comes not only from the individual components, but also by a really strong dressing from
- crushed garlic
- much lemon juice
- Lemon zest
- best olive oil
- and a good pinch of za'atar, the delicious spice mixture of thyme and sesame seeds
But that was not quite it. I did mention that in this green bean salad also joins a lot of fresh herbs. That would be:
- Fresh mint: I always go for the mild Moroccan mint (supermarket)
- Fresh coriander
- Flat leaf parsley
I don't chop the herbs, but just pluck the leaves from the stems and add them whole to the green bean salad. The tender artichoke hearts I give either halved or even directly as a whole with the salad. It always depends on how big they are. You can get artichokes from a jar in the supermarket.
The princess beans are cooked briefly so that they remain firm to the bite. After the herbs are plucked and the dressing is mixed, the still warm green beans are added directly to the dressing so that they can soak in it. Then you can directly fold in the herbs and the artichoke.
The creamy bed for the bean salad
The bean puree is really made very quickly. For this you just have to
- Cooked white beans (canned)
- Tahini (sesame puree)
- Lemon juice
- and lemon grated
puree with a hand blender and season with salt. Spread the puree on a large plate and place the green bean salad with artichoke hearts and herbs on top. If you like it particularly strong, you can spread the remaining dressing over it. I also like to add a little more za'atar and another drizzle of olive oil.
This then fits crusty baguette and good company. I wish you a lot of fun trying it out and of course a good appetite!
- Halabi, Rafik (Author)
Recipe for green bean salad with artichokes on bean puree
For the dressing
For the salad
- 1 x Recipe bean puree
- 200 g Princess beans
- 150 g Artichoke hearts canned, cooked, in water
- 15 g Mint
- 15 g Parsley smooth
- 15 g Coriander fresh
- Prepare bean puree according to recipe.
- Wash the lemon well, finely grate the peel and squeeze the juice.
- Peel and finely crush the garlic.
- Mix olive oil with lemon juice, lemon zest, crushed garlic, za'atar, and salt and pepper to make dressing.
- Wash herbs well and pluck leaves from stems.
- Wash the princess beans and remove the stalk.
- Strain artichoke hearts, add to dressing and combine.
- Boil the princess beans in salted water for about 3 minutes and then add them directly to the cold dressing and mix with it.
- Add the herbs and mix everything together.
- Spread the bean puree on a plate and serve the salad on top. If necessary, season with salt, pepper and za'atar.