I always find it amazing how much flavor you can tickle out of vegetables, if you only give it proper heat. Especially grilled lettuce hearts are a real highlight for me personally when grilling! I love the lightness and the delicious roasted aromas that the crunchy lettuce gets during grilling. If there is then also a spicy dressing of harissa and honey to it, my taste buds go really crazy.
Grilled lettuce hearts: crunchy, juicy & aromatic!
Salad hearts I can actually also eat pure as a snack in between just always. I love the wonderful freshness, the crunchiness and the gentle bitter notes really very much! Grilled lettuce hearts are then but an absolute treat!
It’s funny how a rather unimpressive product suddenly becomes a really fine delicacy. Grilled lettuce hearts are so quick and easy to make that they have now become a regular part of my barbecue rounds, along with kafta, chicken skewers and halloumi sticks.
Basically, you just have to cut the tender hearts of romaine lettuce in half and brush them lightly with olive oil so that they do not stick to the grill grate. After that, the lettuce hearts can already go on the grill. It’s as simple as that.
During grilling, the lettuce hearts get proper fire and thus really nice roast aromas. I leave my grilled lettuce hearts then usually only about 2 – 3 minutes on the hot grill, so they do not become too soft.
The beauty of the grilled lettuce hearts is that they still remain slightly crunchy. That makes in the mouth then really fun! After grilling, I still give a little salt and of course the delicious dressing over it.
Harissa honey dressing
The dressing is basically a vinaigrette with olive oil and vinegar. Add shallots, honey (alternatively agave syrup) and of course. Harissa!
Just by the sharpness of Harissa gets the vinaigrette neat power. This goes really well with the grilled lettuce hearts and rounds off the taste experience so right.
If you feel like it, you can also try the lettuce hearts very well with tahini sauce. Also tastes incredibly good!
Want some variations?
You can use grilled lettuce hearts in many ways – not only as a side dish! I’m thinking of variations of the delicious lettuce hearts on a plate with creamy hummus as a base.
What you could also try well are grilled saala hearts on fresh Labneh with a few freshly roasted nuts. Feel free to let your creativity run wild. Enjoy your meal!
- Halabi, Rafik (Author)
Recipe for grilled lettuce hearts
For the lettuce hearts
- 4 Lettuce hearts
- 4 Tablespoon Olive oil
For the dressing
For the topping
- 5 g flat leaf parsley
- 5 g Mint
- 3 Tablespoon Almond flakes
Preparation lettuce hearts
- Wash the lettuce hearts well and shake them dry.
- Cut lettuce hearts in half lengthwise and brush with oil.
- Grill lettuce hearts on the grill or in a pan on both sides for about 2-3 minutes until toasted aromas have formed.
- Meanwhile, peel shallots and dice very finely.
- In a bowl, whisk together diced shallots, olive oil, white wine vinegar, honey and harissa. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Roast the almonds in a pan without fat for about 3 minutes until they have taken on some color.
- Roughly chop the parsley and mint.
- Arrange grilled lettuce hearts on a plate. Spread dressing on top and garnish with toasted almond flakes, mint and parsley.