As a child, I only ever knew labneh like this: in a small bowl with a lake of olive oil and a pinch of za'atar. I would take the whole thing with pita bread and inhale it. I just love this super creamy cream cheese so much. The idea that labneh could also be perfect as a dessert has been waving in my face a lot. Now I've started the experiment. The result is this fantastic dessert: Labneh with caramelised beetroot and walnuts.
Perfect blend: earthy, sweet, creamy and nutty
Beetroot already has a great earthy sweetness, which you can bring out even more with a little honey. And if you roast a few aniseed seeds in the pan beforehand and then add the honey and beetroot, the result is a small firework of flavours.
The nice thing about labneh is that you can change the consistency yourself. And for this dessert, we want the cream cheese to be super creamy. So don't let the yoghurt hang in the cloth too long and add less salt. But you have to add a little salt, because it lets the whey drain off and creates a nice flavour contrast with the caramelised beetroot.
For a great finish, there are freshly roasted walnuts, which not only add crunch, but also a nice nutty flavour that harmonises perfectly with the beetroot. I can't wait to hear what you have to say about this dessert! For now, labneh with caramelised beetroot and walnuts is definitely the dessert I'll be treating friends to.
Recipe for labneh with caramelised beetroot and walnuts
- 400 g Labneh according to recipe
- 50 g Walnuts
- 2 Piece Beet, vacuum packed
- 1/2 TSP Anise seed
- 2 TBSP Honey
- 1/2 Orange, abrasion
- Prepare labneh according to the recipe with max. 1/2 tsp salt and leave to drain for only 2-3 hours.
- Roast the walnuts in a pan without fat and leave to cool. Then chop coarsely.
- Cut the beetroot into slices and halve them. It's best to wear gloves because otherwise your hands will turn red.
- Roast the aniseed seeds in a hot pan without fat until fragrant.
- Pour honey over the aniseed and let it caramelise.
- Add the orange zest and beetroot to the caramelised honey and toss a few times in the pan.
- Spread the labneh on plates, arrange the beetroot on top, garnish with toasted walnuts and orange zest and drizzle a little honey on top.