When I need a really tasty side dish for a Lebanese stew, I quite often make the super aromatic butter rice. But you can also butter bulgur in the same way and prepare fantastic butter bulgur. The recipe is quick and easy to make and tastes great as a side dish or even on its own.
Buttered bulgur - simply delicious!
If you don't know bulgur yet: Bulgur is basically a durum wheat. It is pre-steamed and then ground into various sizes. In the supermarket you often get the medium to coarse size, which is well suited for this butter bulgur.
There is bulgur but also in very fine. You can often find this fine bulgur under the name wheat groats and it is perfect for tabouleh, for example.
Since the durum wheat is already pre-steamed, the preparation is quite fast. The buttered bulgur is prepared analogously to the buttered rice. Sautéed in butter and cooked in vegetable broth - great! The recipe differs only minimally, yet the taste is quite different thanks to the grainy texture and bite of the bulgur.
Bulgur made quickly
So you melt butter in a pot and fry small soup noodles or vermicelli (you can really get in any supermarket) in it for a few minutes. The small noodles turn brown in the butter and it really creates incredibly delicious roasted aromas that give the dish a lot of flavor.
Then add the bulgur, stir briefly and deglaze with vegetable broth. Let it simmer for a short time and then let the butter bulgur simmer on low heat with the lid closed until the broth is absorbed and the bulgur is cooked. That's it. This usually takes less than 15 minutes and your buttered bulgur is ready to be served.
Of course, you can enjoy the buttered bulgur on its own or with a dollop of yogurt. But you can also serve it perfectly as a side dish for the following dishes:
I wish you lots of fun trying it out and of course a good appetite!
Recipe for butter bulgur
- 40 g Butter
- 35 g short vermicelli
- 250 g Bulgur (coarse)
- 400 ml Vegetable broth
- Heat butter in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Add vermicelli and fry on high heat for approx. 1 - 2 minutes until golden brown in the butter. The butter foams in the process.
- Add bulgur and stir everything once briefly.
- Deglaze with vegetable stock, add salt and simmer for about 1 minute.
- Turn stove to lowest setting and place lid on pot.
- Let the bulgur swell for about 7 - 10 minutes. Please note that the cooking time may vary depending on the grain size of the bulgur. The bulgur is ready when the liquid has been completely absorbed and the grains are tender to the bite.
- In between, carefully loosen the bulgur with a spoon.