Pasta with pumpkin and caramelized figs is an absolute poem! This pasta is really very quick and easy to prepare, but still has that extra something. I really never thought that pumpkin and figs complement each other so well. The pasta is refined with feta and a good portion of the Levantine spice blend Za'atar.
Pumpkin meets fig
The special thing for me in this delicious and quickly made pasta is the combination of nutty pumpkin and fruity figs. This combination came about when I still had some pumpkin left over from the oven pumpkin. That's when I got the idea for this delicious fall dish.
So I just cut pumpkin into small pieces and sautéed in a pan with some garlic and olive oil. For the special spice I added some of the hot chili paste Harissa. You can also leave it out or chop fresh chili to add some spice to your pasta with pumpkin and figs.
As soon as the pumpkin is tender, the fresh figs are added to the pan. Due to their own fructose, they caramelize when sautéed and give the dish a really very tasty sweetness. This goes perfectly with the taste of the pumpkin.
By the way, you can cook the pasta already now, because you still need some collected pasta water to thicken the sauce and make it nice and creamy.
While the pumpkin is cooking and the figs are caramelizing, add a portion of the oriental spice blend Za'atar. The mixture of wild thyme and sesame seeds goes sensationally well with the pasta with pumpkin and figs. If you don't have Za'atar at hand, you can of course also use dried thyme and some toasted sesame seeds.
Finally, add the pasta water and mix the pasta directly with the sauce. Personally, I always let the pasta sit in the sauce for a few more minutes so that everything can combine well.
Once you have the pasta with pumpkin and figs on the plate, it's time to crumble the feta on top. If you like, you can also garnish the pasta with a little more za'atar and freshly chopped parsley.
I wish you a lot of fun trying and of course a good appetite!
Recipe for pasta with pumpkin and figs
- 60 g Feta
- 1 Handful Parsley
- Wash the pumpkin, remove the seeds and cut into small cubes.
- Peel and slice the garlic.
- Wash figs and cut into quarters or eighths.
- Chop the parsley.
- Heat olive oil in a pan over medium heat and sauté garlic for about 2 minutes. Add the pumpkin, turn the heat up one notch and sauté for another 5 minutes.
- Cook pasta in salted water according to package directions to desired doneness.
- Add figs and harissa and let caramelize for about 6 minutes, then return to medium heat.
- Deglaze with lemon juice and about 100 ml pasta water and add za'atar, mix briefly.
- Strain the pasta and add directly to the pan. Mix everything together, let stand briefly and garnish with crumbled feta and some parsley.
Are you in the mood for more delicious dishes with pumpkin or with pasta? Then take a look at these recipes: